Garnet Noel
1st/ 8th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers
served in Burma

My name is Susan Wood and I am your Celebrant today
On behalf of the family I would like to welcome you all to this Celebration of Life for Garnet Wilfred Noel, known as Gary.

We are here today in order to pay our last respects and bid a sad but fond farewell to Gary and to offer our support to his family at this sad and difficult time

Today is a sad day and rightly so, it is never easy to say goodbye to someone we love, but it is also a day to celebrate, honour and pay tribute to Gary, who during his life, was kind loving person, devoted to his family

Weep not for me though I am gone
Into the gentle night
Grieve if you will, but not for long
Upon my souls sweet flight.
There is no need for tears.
I am at peace, my soul is at rest
There is no pain, I suffer not,
For with your love I was so blessed.
I am in a place of comfort
The fear now is gone.
Put those things out of your thoughts,
In your memory I live on.
Please do not dwell upon my death
But celebrate my life

Gary was Born on the island of Jersey on 2nd December 1923 to parents Agnes and Edwin and lived there until his father passed away when Gary was 10 yrs old
As times where hard the family, Gary's Mother Agnes and siblings Edwin and Yvonne had to move to Northern Ireland to live with his
After living in Ireland for a while Agnes met Walter Murray and when Gary was 14 they moved to the Bolton area.
Gary's mum had another child Robert Murray who is here today with his wife Mavis to celebrate Gary's passing.

Gary began his working in a shoe shop followed by book shop, then when he was 16 he decided to join the Army although lying about his age saying he was 18 to get in as he wanted to see the world.

While serving in the army Gary was stationed at an airfield and started to witness the reality of war as damaged aircraft returned from action.
Gary was then posted to Burma spending 6wks on a boat to get there. He said nobody was in a fit state to fight when they got there as most had suffered from sea sickness.

It is in Burma that Gary would see the world in a different light now only 18yrs because having lied about his age.
Although wounded in action with shell fire, in later years whist recounting stories of his time there he always would make light of what happened, making things sound not too serious.
Like being kept awake by the Japs banging pots and pans and shouting in the middle of the night to keep the men awake and on edge.
This was to no avail as Gary and his comrades would be taking part in a major campaign the relief of Kohima and the start to push back the Japanese army.
After taking Kohima Gary was wounded by friendly fire having been shot through the neck, this would be the end of fighting for Gary as the war would end later that year.

Gary left the Army at 22 (his real age) Meeting Joan in a milk bar in Bolton they married on the 1st January 1947 and had their first child in 1947 Bob, a daughter Linda followed in 1952 and the family was complete with the arrival of Alan.

Gary had always liked playing on the football pools and won a small fortune in 1955 of £1,600.
Joan said lets buy a shop as her mother also ran a shop in Farnworth and so they did a corner shop in Radcliffe on Bolton Road.
This would provide a very good standard of living for the family serving the local community for 20yrs until 1975.

Gary was a busy man but had time to spend with his children and Alan used to accompany his dad on his many visits to the Bakery and cash and carry and sometimes Gary would call for a swift half on the way back to the shop.
Although Bob and Linda left home at young ages the family was close and Alan has fond memories of being in the shop and spending time with mum and dad.

They would enjoy going on a week's holiday each year to Blackpool and being fortunate enough to have our own car and park and stay in a hotel on the front.
During the daytime sunbathing on the beach and often playing cards with mum and dad till bedtime in the hotel.

Alan can remember his dad teaching him how to play chess, which Gary had learned how to play in hospital when recovering from his wounds in Burma and then promptly nicked the chess set and taught his mates in his platoon how to play.
Unfortunately working and living together with your partner sometimes does not work out and Gary and Joan divorced around 1980.

Now free and Single Gary found new hobbies in dancing, playing bridge and studying the form and betting on the horses although he did have some good wins it was more of a hobby to him and would spend hours reading up on horses, jockeys and courses.
Gary had a good friend in Harry Swift with who he enjoyed spending time at Tonge Ward Labour Club.

Gary was a patient man, when he sawn Alan at the age of 14 sat on a wall in Radcliffe smoking as he drove past he said nothing.
When Alan returned home Gary simply offered him a cigarette and nothing more was said
On another occasion Gary bumped into Alan in a night club in Bolton and they enjoyed a drink, Alan was still at school.

Gary helped to buy a motorcycle for Alan in 1976 for the vastly sum of £535 and so he was able to explore the surrounding towns and Blackpool on it.

Around 1987 Gary had a pace maker fitted had it not been for this marvel of technology life would have been so much different without him.
Gary enjoyed the company of the ladies, but said these days he was only up to holding hands and living on memories.
Sadly, Gary's children Bob and Linda passed away quite early in life, Gary and his ex wife Joan still remained friends and would often attend family gatherings together.

Gary was a grandad to Paul, Sarah, Emma, Lisa, he would often visit Alan and there are lovely memories of him dancing with Emma and Lisa standing on his feet.
In the fullness of time Gary became a great grandad to Hollie and Joshua'

Alan has many memories of spending time with his Dad at his flat enjoying a brew and chatting about all things in life and getting plenty of fatherly advice.
Sadly, Gary's health deteriorated in later life and in October 2016 he had to go into a home, Wingate's where he settled in nicely and was visited often by his family.

Gary formed a special bond with Danny at the home and they referred to each other as Sergeant (Danny) and private (Noel).
It made his family really happy that he had a special friend there and Gary's face would light up when he saw Danny as he came back from a stay at the hospital.

On the 4th of March Gary closed his eyes and went to sleep for the last time, he was 94.
Overall Gary had a very interesting life but more than anything he was always there for his family, he was a kind and generous man, who was much loved and will be enormously missed by all those who love him.

Speak of me as you have always done.
Remember the good times, laughter, and fun.
Share the happy memories we've made.
Do not let them wither or fade. I'll be with you in the summer's sun
And when the winter's chill has come.
I'll be the voice that whispers in the breeze.
I'm peaceful now, put your mind at ease.
I've rested my eyes and gone to sleep,
But memories we've shared are yours to keep.
Sometimes our final days may be a test,
But remember me when I was at my best.
Although things may not be the same,
Don't be afraid to use my name.
Let your sorrow last for just a while.
Comfort each other and try to smile.
I've lived a life filled with joy and fun.
Live on now and enjoy your life as I have done.

We have now come to the time where we must say a fond but final farewell to Gary

Could I ask you all to please stand
Tenderly and respectfully we say goodbye to Gary who during life was a unique and much loved person

Gary, you have been supportive and kind to us all these years and we thank you for all the love and encouragement you have shown.
You are now on your next journey and we will never stop thinking about you but know that one day we will be with you again.

We rejoice that you lived.
Treasure that we shared in your life.
We cherish our memories of Gary.
With love we leave Gary in peace.
With respect we bid Gary farewell.

Gary, you have engraved your love upon our hearts Go your way in peace, take our love with you

May your memory be a blessing to all who knew you.

Join me now if you would in saying the Lord's Prayer

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy Name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those
who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil thine is the kingdom the power and the glory for ever and ever Amen

Please be seated.
You are invited to join the family at The Ainsworth Arms when you leave here today where you can continue to share your memories of Gary

Gary will be missed enormously by his family but he has left them with a wealth of wonderful memories to look back on and these are the things that will bring them such comfort in the years ahead.
As we come to the end of this celebration of life for Gary, I would like to leave you with this thought
That the dead do not reside in a grave or an urn but in the hearts and minds of those who love them and in this way Gary will live on for a long time to come.

As we prepare to leave we will listen to My Way by Frank Sinatra
I wish you all well.
Curtains to remain open

The words spoken
Lisa Noel Garnet's Granddaughter

My Grandad was an incredible person, and it's easy to see the qualities he has passed down to my Dad. He had a great sense of humour, a handsome smile and a kind disposition. He was extremely calm and content, but no fool and not afraid to stand up for himself.
Grandad was so laid back that you would almost think that he was completely fearless. I asked him once why he had decided to join the army in the midst of war, and he simply replied 'I was bored'. He seemed to live by his own rules, if he wanted to do something; he'd pretty much do it. In Burma, if he thought his position made him a sitting duck, he'd just move.
He was unlucky enough to be injured twice in the war, and to contract some of the deadliest diseases known; TB, Malaria, but he was lucky enough to survive it all, and then come home and win the pools! I've often joked with friends that he was invincible, and shared some of his miraculous stories, including his French heritage and his beautiful French name, whose beauty gets a bit lost in translation.
As a child I can't remember him without at least a walking stick, but that didn't stop him from teaching us the foxtrot by standing on his shoes. He was always humming an old tune back then. Again with his luck, he was completely independent into his late 80's, and he went about doing what he wanted to do and being content, putting the odd bet on and keeping up with the sport.
When he did begin to lose his independence and stopped driving, he didn't become depressed although it was hard. He looked after himself where he could, but also knew when he needed help and wasn't afraid to seek it. He was incredibly strong and genuine, and I'm very proud he was my Grandad.
I think we can all agree and be grateful that at the age of 94 and the adventures he had been on, he had a good, long life, and in the end, in the excellent care of the staff at Wingates, he had a peaceful passing that he truly deserved.

Garnet aged 11

Garnet 1st in on left 2nd row