1st Bn

Read the War Diaries for September 1918

The Lancashire Fusiliers, 1914 - 1918
The Crossing of the Steenbeck near Langemarck

1st Battalion
On 9th August 1917 the 1st Battalion (Major T. Slingsby, M.C.) relieved the 2nd Royal Fusiliers in the line on the south-west side of the Steenbeck stream about a mile west of Langemarck, and officers reconnoitred the crossings over the stream the same night. They found that, owing to the rain, the Steenbeck had by now become a serious military obstacle in many places. Since it was necessary that a firm footing should be obtained on the far bank before further operations on a large scale could be undertaken in this direction, orders were issued for posts to be established about one hundred yards beyond the river on the morning of 11th August. The task was entrusted to three platoons of the 1st Battalion and a body of equal strength from another battalion, the former finding two posts from "C" Company on the right and four from "B" Company on the left. Each post was to consist of two sections. The operation was preceded by a barrage ; and zero was at 4.15 a.m. on the 11th. Shortly before that time the various parties moved forward and crossed the river, establishing the posts in the areas indicated without loss under cover of the barrage, though "C" Company's right post, near the Ypres-Staden railway, was later driven back by bombs to the bridge carrying the rails over the river. The battalion on the left was met by such heavy machine-gun fire from Passerelle Farm, close to Wejdendrift, that it was unable to establish its post there. "B" Company's two left parties, under Second-Lieutenant H. Latham, were therefore compelled to form a defensive flank. Latham moved constantly backwards and forwards under heavy shelling and rifle fire, supervising the dispositions ; and at one stage he led a section across the open in order to fill a gap which had occurred. Second-Lieutenant T. A. Harrop was wounded during the morning, but he refused to leave his post and continued to superintend its consolidation until the battalion was relieved. During the night 11th/12th, "A" Company carried up trench stores to the posts and was to have come back for rations. But it was unable to do so before daybreak owing to hostile shelling and rifle fire, and consequently had to stay in the forward positions till the following night, having only its iron rations to eat on the 12th. At 4.2o a.m. on this day the battalion on the left attacked and captured Passerelle Farm. The left of "B" Company was then able to move forward to its proper place and the complete new line was consolidated during the day, the battalion being relieved at night, while advantage was being taken of its success to establish twelve double wooden bridges over the stream in readiness for the forthcoming operations. Second Lieutenants H. Latham and T. A. Harrop received the Military Cross for their work during this operation. The casualties had been light-8 men killed, 1 officer and 48 men wounded, and 3 men missing. The difficulties of campaigning in a foreign country are shown by the fact that, in a report by the officer commanding "C"

Lt H Latham MC


Sgt Joseph Lister V.C.

Birth: Oct. 19, 1886
Death: Jan. 19, 1963

British Victoria Cross War Medal Recipient. Lister served as a Sergeant in the 1st Battalion of The Lancashire Fusiliers. He was awarded his medal for service at Belgium on October 9, 1917. (bio by: KP)
Search Amazon.com for Joseph Lister
Willow Grove Cemetery
Reddish, England
On 9 October 1917 east of Ypres, Belgium, seeing that the advance of his company was held up by machine-gun fire from the direction of a pillbox, Sergeant Lister dashed ahead of his men and found the gun - he shot two of the gunners and the remainder surrendered. He then went to the pillbox and shouted to the occupants to surrender. They did so with the exception of one man whom the sergeant shot, whereupon about 100 of the enemy emerged from the shell-holes further to the rear and surrendered.

Click to enlarge
thanks to Mark at Ww1graves@aol.com

The Dedication of Memorial to Sgt Joseph Lister

Private Charles Herbert Buzzard MM
1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers, 1914 - 1918 war,
full name Charles Herbert Buzzard, born 1889, died 1947, awarded Military Medal for bravery in the field.
Hon. Sec. for Hucknall Branch of Royal British Legion for 21 years.
Buzzard Court in Hucknall Nottinghamshire was named after him.

London Gazette for MM 14 January 1918

In Memoriam

Second LieutenantJAGGER, HARRY

Died 10/06/1918

Aged 24

1st Bn.
Lancashire Fusiliers

Son of Irwin and Mary Jane Jagger, of Hebden Bridge, Yorks.



Recorded in Wadsworth (West Yorkshire) Roll of Honour.
1st Btn.LF. Killed in action 10.6.1918, age 24. Joined the army age 16, served in India, saw action in the Dardenelles. Commissioned 1917. Unmarried, his brother Edwin Kelita Jagger killed 1916, serving with Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt).
Buried in Cinq Rues, Hazebrouck, France.


Died on this day 18/07/1917
Private Albert Richardson
1st Lancashire Fusiliers

They are 3 Albert Richardson's on the Middleton Memorial, and unfortunately out of the three I don't know anything about today's chap.
But he's remembered here today, which is the main thing.
Private Richardson is laid to rest at Bard Cottage Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium.

Died on 30/05/1917
Private Harold Wrigley
1st Lancashire Fusiliers

Private Harold Wrigley, 706, Heaton Terrace, Rhodes, and of the Lancashire Fusiliers, died of wounds received in action in May, 1917.
This soldier possessed a powerful physique, and had been fond of athletic games and played football for the All Saints Club, Rhodes.
He was highly respected and esteemed by everyone, and had served his apprenticeship to Messrs. W. And H. Thorpe, Joiners. He was a nephew of the late councillor Mather, of Rhodes.

Private Wrigley mustn't have made it to a casualty clearing station, as he has no known grave. His name is on the Arras Memorial, France.

Died on 10/05/1917
Private Fred Grime
1st Lancashire Fusiliers.

Private Fred Grime, age 25, who resided at Fern-Lea, Kenyon Lane, Middleton, was killed in France on May 10th, 1917. This soldier who was employed by the Don Spinning Company, and enlisted on February 9th, 1916, and went to the front on August 7th of the same year. He was connected with the Unitarian School, Middleton.

Private Grime, is laid to rest at Orange Trench Cemetery, Monchy-le-Preux , France.
His brother, Private James Grime was killed later in the same year.

Died on 08/05/1918
Private Frank Dean
1st Lancashire Fusiliers

Private Frank Dean, aged 21, nephew of Mrs. Ogden, Spring Gardens, Middleton, met his death on May 8th, 1918, while sleeping in a dug-out, a piece of shrapnel striking him on the right side of his head.
A comrade wrote; "He was a hard working soldier and one of the best gunners in the platoon, and was well liked by all the officers and men, who very sincerely sympathise with you in your bereavement."
Private Dean was employed as a piecer at the Times Mill, and was connected with St. Stephen's Sunday School.

Private Dean is laid to rest at Nieppe Bois British Cemetery, France.

Samuel Millar

Samuel was my Great Uncle. He was the son of William John Millar and Rachel Millar, both born in County Antrim, Northern Ireland and arrived in Liverpool in 1880.

Sam was one of five children. He had two elder brothers Robert (my grandfather) and Thomas, a younger brother James and the youngest, a sister Agnes.

Sam was born in Liverpool on 26 October 1888. He enlisted with the Lancashire Fusiliers and became Private Millar - Number 20405.

Sam was killed in action on 20 April 1918. He is buried at Aval Wood Military Cemetery, Vieux-Berquin, France.

I have attached Sam's photo and service medal record.


If you wish to place this information of Sam on your web site, then I am happy for you to do so.

Another Great Hero.

Best Wishes

Julie Owen

from Ainsdale, Southport